Beauty: Inside and Out
Who hasn’t looked at themselves under to fluorescent lights in the bathroom at the office and felt awful? I swear they can make me look old and tired on my best day (I actually know the CEO of a company that is promising to fix the awfulness of low-energy lighting – thank goodness!).
I do my best to minimize the aging process for many reasons, and certainly looking/feeling good during the workweek under those fluorescent lights is one of them. Here are some of the things I do and products I use in order to shine inside and out. It’s been working, too. When tested with Jenny during New York Fashion Week this year, my skin evaluation put its condition at 8 years younger than my age. I realize I put more time into this area than many, but the real point is to do as much as you can, as consistently as possible. And the earlier in your life the better!
– Eminence Stone Crop face wash in the shower
– Oro Gold 24k Gold Vitamin C Booster Facial Serum or Skinceuticals CE Ferulic Serum
– PCA Skin ideal Complex Revitalizing Gel (contemplating adding La Mer eye cream…we will see)
– Oro Gold 24K Gold Day Moisturizer Cream (makes my skin feel truly moisturize but not greasy)
– Neutrogena sunscreen (So important to wear sunscreen every day even if it is cloudy or you think you are only going to be inside. Sun ages skin, period.)
– Ocean Cleansing Milk (gentle, effective)
– Shilwhasoo Essential Balancing Water (smooths an moisturizes skin)
– Chantecaille Retinol cream (2x the normal amount of retinol plus green coffee and evening primrose oil, this is a topnotch nighttime moisturizer)
– PCA Skin ideal Complex Revitalizing Gel (again, really great stuff that helps reduce puffiness an serves as a lightweight moisturizer)
– Rodin Oil (currently – totally love Osea’s Argan Oil , too)
1 x a week: exfoliate with Oro Gold Deep Peel
Internal: Superfoods and greens
I love that it’s cool now to eat Superfoods. Kale, quinoa, chia, hemp…the fact that these items have hit mainstream is awesome for bodies everywhere! I try to max out my vegetable intake all day, but the morning is where I really try to pack things in so I feel good no matter what happens the rest of the day.
Here are a few smoothies I’ve been enjoying recently.
Melissa’s Strawberry-Beet Smoothie
1 ½ cups frozen strawberries (organic if possible)
1 medium red beet, trimmed, scrubbed and quartered (roasted or steamed if not using a high-speed blender like Vita-Mix)
1 handful beet greens (scant), rinsed thoroughly
1/3 cup dried white mulberries
4 drops liquid vanilla stevia (or plain stevia + 1 tsp vanilla extract)
3 cups water or coconut water (or coconut milk if you want it more milk-shakey vs. frosty)
1 cup ice
Add water to blender, then greens, then all other ingredients and blend until completely smooth.
Laney’s Vitamin C Travel Smoothie from Bonberi
1 cup raw coconut water
1/2 cup of frozen banana or frozen cucumber
1/2 fresh pineapple
2 heaping spoonfuls of ground flaxseed (and/or chia seeds)
2 heaping spoonfuls of raw coconut
1 t Camu powder
2 T Orange zest
1 drop full of immunity from pressed juicery
dash of Lait de Coconut to make creamy if desired (I use canned coconut milk or just dried coconut flakes)
Combine in blender and enjoy!